English Department Goals 2016-17
- Provide information to staff, parents, and students about the Collections Companions modules by creating PowerPoints and leading on-site trainings this school year.
- Train new and returning English Department teachers.
- Encourage and promote professional development opportunities for the department teachers.
- Continue to provide information about and create interest in the Expository Reading and Writing Course (ERWC).An a-g Grade 12 course will be offered at the learning center this year. A Grade 11 course will be offered online this year.
- Create PowerPoint trainings for MyAccess to support a deeper understanding and to provide updated information about the program.
- Encourage and facilitate communication among department teachers and between students and parents about Moodle class expectations to ensure student and parent responsibility in order to maintain a high level of learning.
- Implement new critical thinking and writing classes.
The Importance of Writing:
- Offer essay grading information.
- Find ways of teaching and presenting writing that are engaging and fun for students while also giving them a realistic view and an understanding that writing well will require work on their part and will not always be fun.
- Furnish online resources about writing contests which may offer cash awards and scholarships as well as chances to gain national recognition and opportunities for publication.
- Post links to examples of poor (below grade level), average, and above average student writing.
- Inform parents and ESs through links to articles and other documentation about why writing needs to be included in the curriculum, and why a curriculum which is entirely hands-on, project based, or unschooling in approach needs supplementation in this direction to be balanced and adequate.